Logos—Old and New

Henderson County Democrats Adopt New Symbol

After almost two centuries, the Democratic Party has a new symbol. The old symbol is steeped in our history, going back to the time of Andrew Jackson. In the 1820's, his political opponents first introduced the donkey as a symbol for Jackson's Democratic Party. Perhaps they really meant "jack-ass" to make Jackson look ignorant, but Old Hickory turned it to his advantage. He said it really meant he and his party were "of the people, not the special interests."

The donkey re-surfaced as the symbol in 1870, and has been the party icon ever since, although never officially adopted by the party. But now, we've retired the "kicking donkey" (or mule) letting him go to pasture with high clover, a clear pool of water, shade trees and a salt lick; a fitting reward for such a long term of service. The national party has adopted a new, more modern logo:  It is a light blue "D" surrounded by a darker blue ring.

The Henderson County Democratic Party has adopted the national logo in part, while incorporating features that reflect our local heritage. Henderson County ranks 7th nationally among all counties in apple production; so it was only fitting that we display an apple in our version of the symbol. We also changed the new national slogan, "Change that Matters" to "Local Change that Matters." This reflects our dedication to working for meaningful change in our own community.

Our new logo will appear on all our documents, publications, and all forms of electronic and social media. It represents the new changes and the vital energy of the Henderson County Democratic Party. We have a wide range of activities underway, and there is a place for anyone to plug-in.